Margaret Power Station

The power station was opened in 1936 by Mt Lyle Mining to power their mines it was more recently bought by Hydro Tasmania and closed in 2006.

Margaret Power station has a reasonably small catchment area of 20 km squared but with a high rain fall.

The main interest in this station is the fact that the pipe line from the dam to the power station is entirely made of wood at first this sounds ridiculous but think about it boats are made of wood.

The wooden pipe line is also the reason for the stations closure as it became to expensive to maintain. The pipe line required an inspection and maintenance  tramway, which now doubles as a walking trail and is open to the public. 

Wooden pipe line at Margaret power station

Only a couple of months before being decommissioned.

2008®


%d bloggers like this: